Ready to organize a cleanup event? Below you will find useful information to review or download that will help you have a safe and successful cleanup.
- Be aware of private property, and get permission from landowners before going on their land.
- Roadside litter can be dangerous. Do not open coolers, jugs, bottles and other sealed containers.
- Make sure you wear gloves, appropriate clothing, and safety gear.
- Report any suspicious or dangerous items to police immediately.
- Make sure children are not left unattended near highways or water.
- For volunteer safety, please inform your volunteers prior to your cleanup what remnants of a meth lab or a “One Pot” meth lab might contain.
- Warmer temperatures mean the many species of snakes in PA are more active. The PA Fish and Boat has an excellent easy identification guide that even contains some great safety tips. Download their guide here.
- Warmer temperatures also mean more ticks in PA. The PA Department of Health offers good info about Lyme Disease and tick prevention/removal.
- Please remember to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids.
- Please also make plans for the trash disposal before your cleanup – most DOT offices are still closed so contact your township or even add the collected trash to your own or neighbors with permission.
Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful Cleanup Resources
- Want to fight dirty in your community,but not sure where to start? Watch our recorded webinar to learn more about hosting a community cleanup, choosing an event location, organizing and mobilizing volunteers, coordinating trash disposal, navigating our website and more!
- KPB Steps for a Successful Cleanup
- KPB Guidelines for Illegal Dump Cleanups
- KPB Overview of PA Litter and Dumping Laws
- KPB Methamphetamine Labs: A Recipe for Disaster
- KPB Waterway Cleanup Manual
PennDOT Cleanup Resources
Keep America Beautiful Cleanup Resources
Ocean Conservancy Resources