Pennsylvania Waterway Stewards
Become a waterway community scientist!
The Pennsylvania Waterway Steward Program’s goal is to engage Pennsylvania water trail users, outdoor and waterway enthusiasts, anglers and all who are concerned about the health and safety of our waterways, in community science and build long term stewardship of our water trails, while providing valuable data to tell the story about litter in our waterways. YOU can help by volunteering to be a Waterway Steward.
Questions? Please contact Michelle Dunn at 1-877-772-3673 ext. 113 or email@example.com.
IMPACTS YOU CAN HAVE AS A WATERWAY STEWARD
- Help preserve the beauty of Pennsylvania’s waterways.
- Improve water quality.
- Enhance the health and safety of our environment, people, animals, birds and fish.
- Protect the natural resources that we depend on for recreation and tourism from pollution.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Anglers, kayakers, bird watchers, water trail users, outdoor and waterway enthusiasts and all those who care about the health and safety of Pennsylvania’s waterways.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
- First, apply online.
- Stewards are welcome to work in more than one water area. Concentrate on one spot or chose a different body of water each time, it's up to you!
- Commit to being a community scientist and record data about litter on the waterways at least 2 times a year.
- Collect litter using the provided waterway cleanup kit. Kits are available as supplies last.
- Properly dispose of the litter when your waterway adventure is over.
- Report your data and upload photos to Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful.
- Share your stories and tag us on social media. Don't forget to include photos of your new waterway kit in action!
WATERWAY CLEANUP KIT CONTENTS
- 1 Pair of gloves
- 1 Mesh bag for collecting trash
- 1 Collapsible litter grabber
- Laminated data card with QR Code for reporting
- Letter from Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful and program sponsors
- Education materials
- All items are as supplies last
- KPB Waterway Steward Program Guidelines(.pdf)
- KPB Waterway Cleanup Manual (.pdf)
- Waterway Steward Program Flyer (.pdf)
- Resources for recycling and trash disposal
- Info on Lyme disease and tick prevention/removal (PA Department of Health)
- Learn how to stop Aquatic Hitchhikers and slow the spread of invasive species.
- Snakes of PA easy identification guide (PA Fish & Boat Commission)
- Video: PFBC Water Safety Tips- Kayaking (PA Fish & Boat Commission)