Pick Up PA
Everyone wants to live, work, and play in a clean and green community . . . and it’s up to everyone to make it possible and improve the overall quality of life for us all.
Please join us by registering an event for Pick Up Pennsylvania:
- March 1st through May 31st. Our spring event in support of The Great America Cleanup is eligible for FREE work gloves, safety vests, and trash bags as supplies last. Donated landfill space for trash collected during the cleanup is also available for free or reduced cost between April 1st through April 30th.
- June 1st through August 31st. Events can be registered in the summer but are not eligible for free supplies at this time. Please also be aware of the additional safety concerns for summer events in PA like ticks, snakes, vegetation, and poison ivy.
- September 1st through November 30th. Our fall event in support of The International Coastal Cleanup is eligible for FREE work gloves, safety vests, and trash bags as supplies last. There is no donated landfill space for the fall event.
- December 1st through February 28th. Events can be registered in the winter but are not eligible for free supplies at this time. Please also be aware of the additional safety concerns for winter events in PA.
All program registrations will receive an e-mail with detailed instructions for supplies and resources, safety information, and a link to report on each event
- Be aware of private property, and get permission from landowners before going on their land.
- Roadside litter can be dangerous. Do not open coolers, jugs, bottles and other sealed containers.
- Make sure you wear gloves, appropriate clothing, and safety gear.
- Report any suspicious or dangerous items to police immediately.
- Make sure children are not left unattended near highways or water.
- For volunteer safety, please inform your volunteers prior to your cleanup what remnants of a meth lab or a “One Pot” meth lab might contain. Download the “Meth Labs: A Recipe for Disaster” pdf file here.
- Warmer temperatures also mean more ticks in PA. The PA Department of Health offers good info about Lyme Disease and tick prevention/removal.
- Please be aware that some lands may be open for hunting or trapping even on some Sundays. For current seasons and dates for your cleanup location, visit the PA Game Commission for the most up-to-date info.
Program participants have done amazing work so far this year. Here are the stats from the 2021 Spring Pick Up Pennsylvania:
- 3,395 Events
- 60,505 Invaluable Volunteers
- 504,750 Pounds of Materials Recycled
- 2,276,820 Pounds of Trash Disposed
- 4,893 Miles of Roads, Shorelines and Trails Cleaned
- 102,155 Trees, Shrubs, and Flowers Planted
- 23,041 Tires Properly Disposed
See the 2021 Spring Pick Up Pennsylvania Final Summary – coming soon.
See the 2020 Fall Pick Up Pennsylvania Final Summary.
Each year during Pick Up Pennsylvania, registered events can get free cleanup supplies such as bags, gloves and vests donated by PennDOT, the Department of Environmental Protection, and Keep America Beautiful.
Community and civic associations, schools and youth groups, families and friends, business employees, hunting and fishing clubs, conservation organizations, sports teams, and others can organize their members and participate in Pick Up Pennsylvania.