The Healing the Planet Grant Program, funded by The GIANT Company, aims to build environmental stewardship by connecting people and families to community green spaces, improve community green spaces, support environmental restoration efforts, and support community gardens. Applications will be accepted for $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, $15,000 and $25,000. Interested applicants that have smaller projects that do not meet the minimum grant of $2,500 are encouraged to expand the scope of their project or partner with another organization. Applications for less than $2,500 will not be considered. A list of criteria for eligible projects can be found below. Applications will be accepted online June 1, 2021 through June 30, 2021 at 5:00pm EST. You can download a PDF of the grant program guidelines here.
- Applicants can be any tax-exempt organization including nonprofit organizations, conservation districts, schools, churches, local and county governments, etc. EIN must be provided.
- Based on GIANT store locations, applications must be for projects in the following states and counties. Applicants can reside outside of the target locations but the project MUST be in the below locations. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
Maryland: Alleghany, Carroll, Cecil and Washington counties.
Pennsylvania: Adams, Berks, Blair, Bucks, Carbon, Centre, Chester, Clearfield, Columbia, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Fayette, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Indiana, Lackawanna, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Luzerne, Lycoming, Mifflin, Monroe, Montgomery, Montour, Northampton, Perry, Philadelphia, Schuylkill, Snyder, Union and York counties.
Virginia: Clarke, Culpeper, Frederick and Warren counties. Also the cities of Harrisonburg, Staunton, Waynesboro and Winchester.
West Virginia: Berkeley, Jefferson and Mineral counties.
- Eligible projects will connect people and families with community green spaces and could include park improvements, park builds, watershed restoration, recycling infrastructure and related programs, beautification and greening, community gardens, vacant lot restoration, outdoor classrooms and tree plantings.
- Eligible expenses include direct project costs, included but not limited to trees, shrubs, flower bulbs, waste disposal, tire disposal, tools for invasive removal, work gloves, safety vests, trash bags, recycling containers, printing of educational materials, signage, playground and or park infrastructure, gardening tools and equipment, etc.
A maximum of 10% staff time can be included.
- Non-Eligible expenses include, but are not limited to, indirect or direct overhead costs, general office supplies, scholarships, financial awards, fundraising events, conferences and seminars.
- Eligible projects must be on public land or be for public use and benefit. Documentation must be provided. Projects occurring on private property must provide a signed permission-to-enter-form and proof of public benefit. Projects cannot be for private property owner benefit.
- Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful encourages community match. Match is preferred but not required.
- Grant will open on June 1, 2021. Online submissions only. No applications will be accepted by post or email.
- All grant applications and supplemental information will be accepted until 5:00pm EST on June 30, 2021. No exceptions.
- Grant winners will be announced in late July or early August 2021. All applicants will be informed of their application outcome at this time. All decisions of the grant committee are final.
- Projects must be completed by July 31, 2022, one year after award.
- A completed final report including photos must be submitted by August 31, 2022.
This is a competitive grant program with intent to provide support for diverse community improvement projects across The Giant Company’s operating area in the states of Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia. Visit our community projects photo album for inspiration! On June 1, 2021, please fill out the online application available here.
All applications will be reviewed and scored by a grants committee. Grant winners will be announced in late July or early August 2021. All applicants will be informed of their application outcome at this time. All decisions of the grant committee are final.
All organizations awarded will be asked to sign an agreement with Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, outlining requirements and expectations. The grant agreement will outline all project requirements that will be submitted at the end of the grant period in an online format. Photos will also be required. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful will provide each awardee with a sample release template and requirements for appropriate and agreed upon recognition of The GIANT Company and Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful. Recognition could include local press releases, inclusion in educational materials, and or signage. All items are to be approved by Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful and The GIANT Company prior to release of such materials.
For grant questions and guidance regarding eligible projects, please contact Heidi Pedicone, Director of Programs for Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-772-3673 x 109.