(November 12, 2020) America Recycles Day (ARD), a program of Keep America Beautiful, is held on and around November 15 to educate and encourage individuals to be more mindful of what they consume, where and how to properly recycle and to pledge to recycle more and recycle right in their everyday lives.
Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, with support provided by the Richard King Mellon Foundation, provided grants totaling $20,000 to five affiliates to increase awareness about proper waste disposal and recycling and convenient recycling services available in their county.
- PA CleanWays of Elk County will create an informational flyer that will be mailed to all county residents to promote the county’s Community Recycling Center. The center provides convenient, affordable access to recycling and is open to all residents three days a week. More information about the Recycling Center can be found on their website, http://www.co.elk.pa.us/index.php/recycling-center.
- Keep Erie County Beautiful will create signs for glass recycling bins for a pilot project, developed with support from the local COG and glass recycler, which informs users of drop-off protocol including the types of glass accepted. For information about recycling in Erie County, visit https://eriecountypa.gov/departments/planning-and-community-development/programs/recycling/.
- Tri-County CleanWays will design, print and distribute fact sheets and create a video to educate residents of Butler, Lawrence and Mercer counties on proper disposal and recycling practices and the negative effects associated with bin contamination. For more information about recycling in Lawrence and Mercer counties, visit https://co.lawrence.pa.us/departments/recycling-and-solid-waste-lawrence_county/, for Butler County, visit https://cityofbutler.org/info-for-residents/trash-collection/.
- PA CleanWays of Venango County will produce a video to promote and educate county residents about the importance of recycling and what can be recycled in Venango County. For information about recycling in Venango County, visit https://co.venango.pa.us/278/Recycling.
- Westmoreland CleanWays and Recycling will produce a video to promote and educate county residents and businesses about their Community Recycling Center that will include a tour of the center and illustrate the recycling processes in operation. The center is open to the general public three days a week. More information about the Recycling Center can be found on their website, https://www.westmorelandcleanways.org/westmoreland-cleanways-recycling-center/.
“Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful is grateful to the Richard King Mellon Foundation for providing support that will help our affiliates raise awareness about the many recycling services available to residents. The tools our affiliates are creating and distributing will encourage residents and whole communities to recognize the economic, environmental, and social benefits associated with reducing, reusing, repurposing and recycling,” said Shannon Reiter, President of Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful.
In support of America Recycles Day, all Pennsylvanian’s are encouraged to take the #BeRecycled pledge and promise to actively choose to live a recycled lifestyle by recycling at home, work, school and on the go; buying products made with recycled content; and educating and encouraging friends, family, and neighbors to take the #BeRecycled pledge. Visit kab.org.
Contact your local Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful affiliate for more information about proper disposal in your area by going to keeppabeautiful.org and choosing Get Involved/Affiliate Network. To find collection and recycling events near you, visit Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful’s Calendar of Events at keeppabeautiful.org, or contact your local County Recycling Coordinator.
About Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful
Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful’s vision is a clean and beautiful Pennsylvania. Since 1990, Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful has worked with hundreds of thousands of volunteers across the state to pick up nearly 147 million pounds of trash from Pennsylvania’s roadways, waterways, greenways, vacant lots, forestlands and other community spaces. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful’s core programming focuses on litter and illegal dump prevention, cleanup, community greening, and proper waste handling and sustainable practices. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful works with many partnering organizations on the state and grassroots level to accomplish our goal of a clean and beautiful Pennsylvania. Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful is the state affiliate of Keep America Beautiful, Inc., the nation’s largest volunteer-based community action and education organization. To learn more about Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful, visit www.keeppabeautiful.org.