The Litter Free School Zone program is designed to encourage students to keep their school grounds litter-free and to raise public awareness regarding litter via a Litter Free School Zone sign to be displayed outside the school.
Students, clubs, classes, and even entire school districts can participate in the Litter Free School Zone program. Keeping their school litter-free is an easy and fun way for students to work together, learning valuable community leadership and responsibility skills while gaining a respect for the environment and the world around them. It is also an opportunity to develop a school-wide stewardship ethic and set a community example.
The Litter Free School Zone program strives to resolve the issue of littering in two ways:
- Cleanup: Remove existing and deposited litter as soon as possible after it appears, so that further littering will be less likely to occur.
- Prevention: Create a sense of understanding, caring, and responsibility, often described as environmental stewardship, in our children so that they will not think of littering as an acceptable behavior in their world.
| Cambria Heights Elementary School
The ultimate goal is a cleaner, more beautiful community, with a strong sense of civic pride. As more students participate in the Litter Free School Zone program, we hope that there will soon be less litter to clean up. As residents drive past the signage and see the clean schoolyard, they also will be less inclined to deposit litter.
Minimum Requirements from the School:
- Check the school grounds two times a year (or more often at your discretion) and remove litter.
- To report the date of each cleanup completed, number of participants and hours, and number of full bags collected to Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful after each cleanup or two times a year if cleanups are held more often.
- Promote, organize, and implement any school events as litter free events.
- Report activities in school publications, bulletin boards, websites, etc.
- Make safety a top priority.
- Provide written notice to Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful and remove signage in the event that the school wishes to terminate from the program or if it becomes inactive.
Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful Provides:
- Attractive signage for your school designating it as a litter free zone.
- Media coverage publicizing your school's involvement through our newsletter, news releases, and the websites: www.gacofpa.org and www.keeppabeautiful.org
- Helpful and responsive assistance from staff.
For more information, please contact:
Below is a list of schools who are participating in our Litter Free School Zone program:
Stephanie Larson toll free at 1-877-772-3673 ext.104 or e-mail.
School County Adopted Since
Avon Grove Charter School Chester 2/16
Blacklick Valley Jr/Sr High School Cambria 4/15
Blue Ridge School District Susquehanna 10/15
Cambria Heights Elementary Cambria 9/11
Case Avenue Elementary School Mercer 12/14
Corl Street Elementary Centre 9/11
Dillsburg Elementary School York 3/16
East Lycoming School District Lycoming 5/12
Edgewood & Dickson Elementary Allegheny 10/12
Forest Hills Sr. High School Cambria 10/14
Friendship Academy Allegheny 10/14
Glenside Elementary Montgomery 3/16
Greensburg Central Catholic Jr Sr High School Westmoreland 4/16
Howard Gardner MI Charter School Lackawanna 4/16
Independence Middle School Allegheny 3/15
Haine Middle School Butler 9/15
Heights-Murray Elementary School Luzerne 10/15
J.E. Fritz Elementary Lancaster 8/12
Jamestown Elementary School Mercer 4/15
Lancaster Mennonite School - Hershey Campus Dauphin 11/15
Manchester Academic Charter School Allegheny 9/14
Marion Elementary School Westmoreland 4/15
Muhlenberg Elementary Center Berks 10/14
Newberry Elementary School York 3/15
North Wales Elementary School Montgomery 10/12
North Coventry Elementary School Chester 4/15
North Star Middle School - Stoystown Somerset 3/15
Northwestern Middle School Erie 10/14
Northwestern High School Erie 9/14
Pine Run Elementary School Bucks 9/15
Radnor High School Delaware 9/11
Rostraver Elementary School Westmoreland 10/15
Saint Leo Catholic School Elk 10/15
Saint Luke School Erie 2/16
Saint Patrick School Venango 4/15
School Street Elem. by K Kids Club of School St. McKean 2/16
Springfield Elementary Erie 10/14
Stone Valley Community Charter School Huntingdon 4/15
The Swan School Lehigh 1/12
Tobyhanna Elementary School Monroe 6/11
Trinity High School Cumberland 12/15
Valley View High School BIO Club Lackawanna 10/14
West Chester Connections Chester 2/16
Williamson Jr. & Sr. High School Tioga 5/12
Wilmington Area School District Lawrence 12/11
Wissahickon Charter School - Awberry Campus Philadelphia 10/15
Wissahickon Charter School - Fernhill Campus Philadelphia 10/15
Young Scholars of Central PA Charter School Centre 10/14